Cafes of the World Compendium. Where one might find a palatable cup of coffee in the places we have visited.
Feel free to leave your own favourites and if we try it and deem it worthy of our time it will be added.
- Come for the coffee, stay for the hugs.
- Chad G. approved, where Jetfuel has proprietary thongs, Domestique has a veritable cornucopia of multi-coloured t-shirts you can also come away with
- best patio, so go on a nice day that is not a Tuesday
- keep you warm on a cold Queeb day
- good coffee, also trustworthy - will keep your wallet until someone can retrieve it for you, however don't even try and open that laptop
Phil and Sebastien's
- Jamie says the coffee is superb and the Buddha bowls are "crunchy" and delicious enough for Denise
- if you're caffeine sensitive like Denise and need to stay away from the coffee they also have a delicious hot chocolate
- a bright spot on a rainy day (everyday - Jamie)
- where the discerning students of UBC go to caffeinate
- home of the most latte art
San Francisco, CA
- awesome, awesome coffee in cool neighborhood but don't expect too many smiles
- rainbow friendly, as the name implies, serving 49th parallel coffee
Palermo Coffee and Gelato
Chino Hills, CA
- opinionated Republicans will scold you for coming to the US, but the latte is well executed
Augie's Coffee House
- recommended by Kevin H. Hazzard, employee of the month 13 straight months at Domestique
- grab a couple fish tacos as well
- grab a namesake cookie before heading up Mt. Lemmon, or just have the cookie
Newport Beach, CA
Soho - La Colombe Torrefaction
- only one man is trusted to make the coffee here, he has an army of people readying the milk pitchers for him
The Rest of the World
Mauritz Kaffenhus 1888
Belgium, Holland, France, South America
BYOC - bring your own coffee, it doesn't exist here....although if you like whipped cream on brown toilet water get a cappucino in Belgium.
|For the love...Belgium sucks|
They have waffles though!!!!
APPENDIX I: Baked Goods
Always a good accoutrement to coffee...
- home of Jamie's favourite cinnamon bun, and favourite-est baked good. The cinnamon buns are only around on the weekend, and only so many are made. Set your alarm.
- I (Denise) personally like having a destination on my long ride. Honey's is about two hours from UBC in Deep Cove, North Van and you can throw in Seymour or Grouse if you're feeling motivated. And the donuts are good motivation. So are the muffins. But it is best to stick to one baked good per trip, because to head home you have to get up out of Deep Cove, at over 20% right away sometimes the delicious golden donut don't feel so good.
- courtesy of Cailey, Jamie's sister. They're delicious even with bias accounted for...
|Salted Caramel Explosion - nom nom|
La Jolla, CA
- Jamie and my mom baffled the employees with how excited they were about these cupcakes, particularly the creme brulee variety and the bread pudding with whipped cream the texture of ice cream variety
|Jamie's bread pudding cupcake|
Over the Rainbow
- they even have a chocolate dipped chip version, which we didn't try, but is supposed to be very good
New York City (Chelsea)
La Maison du Macaron
- The most delicious, melt-in-your-mouth macarons ever and mouth-watering croissants